The BioEnergyTrain project connects 15 partners from six European states and its value is slightly less than 3.7 million euros (with ELES receiving 110,625 euros). The project is fully funded by the European Commission and will take four years. The emphasis of the project is to link tertiary education institutions, research centres, professional associations and industry representatives who encounter renewable energy sources (RES) in the course of their work, as well as to include them in the energy systems of buildings, settlements and regions.
The development in the field of RES is also a priority of the EU and among the most important items of the Horizon 2020 programme. Studying new methods for the reduction of the carbon footprint is necessary and at the same time highly dependent on the competencies of the energy infrastructure staff, new energy sources, as well as the so-called smart buildings and transportation. Since the development in Europe has been at a standstill in this area due to a lack of qualified staff and insufficient links between the needs of vocational education and the needs of the industry, the objective of the project is to develop new post-graduate programmes with an emphasis on RES, and the provision of a highly competent and innovative workforce. The plan within the project is to cooperate with the representatives of educational institutions, the industry and energy policymakers.
ELES will assume activities primarily in the process of establishing a forum for all RES interest parties, colleges, the industry, and public services. The forum aims to exchange information on educational needs, as well as exchanging the know-how on RES. At the same time, it will address the energy literacy of students in order to achieve sustainable and responsible planning and decision-making with regard to global energy issues. The emphasis will be on increasing the regional awareness of the “Development and Usage of RES for the Energy Independence of Europe”.
- Duration: from May 2015 to April 2019
- Project value: 3.7 million EUR
- ELES activity value: EUR 110,625
- Funding source: Horizon 2020 programme (European Commission)
- Partners: eseia, Landesenergieverein (EAS), ECO WORLD STYRIA Umwelttechnik Cluster GMBH (ECO), BRP-Powertrain GMBH & CO KG (BRP), Kompetenzzentrum Holz GMBH (KPLUS), Technical University GRAZ (TU Graz), Bergischer Abfallwirtschaftsverband (BAV), Technical University Hamburg-Harburg (TUHH), KIC InnoEnergy SE (KIC), Universiteit Twente (UTwente), Laboratorio Nacional de Energia e Geologia I.P. (LNEG), Asociatia »Green Energy« (BIO-C), Universitatea Transilvania din Brasov (UTBV), ELES d.o.o., University of Ljubljana (UL)
- Participating countries: Austria, Germany, the Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia
- ELES’s role: head of regional awareness raising of target groups
- Website: www.bioenergytrain.eu