ELES is one of 33 partners from 9 countries participating in the H2020 OSMOSE project. Six TSOs, eleven research partners, together with sixteen industry (manufacturers, solution providers) and market (producers, ESCo) players address the identification and development of flexibilities required to enable the Energy Transition to high share of renewables. This approach captures synergies across needs and sources of flexibilities, such as multiple services from one source, or hybridizing sources, thus resulting in a cost-efficient power system.
OSMOSE proposes four TSO-led demonstrations (RTE, REE, TERNA and ELES) aiming at increasing the techno-economic potential of a wide range of flexibility solutions and covering several applications, i.e.: synchronisation of large power systems by multiservice hybrid storage; multiple services provided by the coordinated control of different storage and FACTS devices; multiple services provided by grid devices, large demand-response and RES generation coordinated in a smart management system; cross-border sharing of flexibility sources through a near real-time cross-border energy market.
The demonstrations are coordinated with and supported by simulation-based studies which aim to forecast the economically optimal mix of flexibility solutions in long-term energy scenarios (2030 and 2050) and to build recommendations for improvements of the existing market mechanisms and regulatory frameworks, thus enabling the reliable and sustainable development of flexibility assets by market players in coordination with regulated players.
In the next four years the project will address interoperability and improved TSO/DSO interactions so as to ease the scaling up and replication of the flexibility solutions. Activities are planned to prepare a strategy for the exploitation and dissemination of the project’s results, with specific messages for each category of stakeholders of the electricity system.
- Duration: 2018 – 2021
- Project value: EUR 21.85 million
- Value of ELES's activities: EUR 654,431 (of which EUR 458,101 in grants)
- Source of funding: Horizon 2020 programme (European Commission)
- Partners: ELIA, RTE, IBM, HOLDING SLOVENSKE ELEKTRARNE, ENEL GREEN POWER, TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAET BERLIN, ENGINEERING - INGEGNERIA INFORMATICA SPA, UNIVERSITE PARIS DAUPHINE, ELEKTROENERGETSKI KOORDINACIONI CENTAR, SAFT, SCHNEIDER ELECTRIC FRANCE SAS, ABB, CENTRO DE INVESTIGACAO EM ENERGIA REN, ELES, COMMISSARIAT A L ENERGIE ATOMIQUE ET AUX ENERGIES ALTERNATIVES, IT4POWER, RICERCA SUL SISTEMA ENERGETICO - RSE SPA, TERNA, FUNDACION CENER-CIEMAT, E2I ENERGIE SPECIALI, CONSORZIO INTERUNIVERSITARIO NAZIONALE PER ENERGIA E SISTEMI ELETTRICI, COMPENDIA SRL, FONDAZIONE BRUNO KESSLER, HYDRO DOLOMITI ENERGIA, ECOLE POLYTECHNIQUE FEDERALE DE LAUSANNE, UNIVERSITAET DUISBURG-ESSEN, UNIVERSIDAD DE LAS PALMAS DE GRAN CANARIA, EDISON, GREEN POWER TECHNOLOGIES, INGETEAM POWER TECHNOLOGY, RED ELECTRICA DE ESPANA, REN - REDE ELECTRICA NACIONAL, EFACEC ENERGIA - MAQUINAS E EQUIPAMENTOS ELECTRICOS
- Participating countries: Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland
- ELES's role: work package leader
- Website: www.osmose-h2020.eu